Tuesday, February 12, 2013

NO PAIN, NO GAIN!


My Duffy & Bracken Physical Therapy one year Anniversary is fast approaching. As the PR & Marketing Director, I wear multiple hats but one hat I didn't see coming was that of (wait for it) ....PATIENT. You see while finishing my Masters Degree, I worked from home for three years. As you can imagine, when I started commuting to Downtown NYC to work and began moving around more and more, I started feeling all sorts of aches and pains in my body. Even though I went to the gym when I could and got a work out in here or there....my mental activity certainly didn't make up for all my physical inactivity.
I figured how convenient for me....I work at a physical therapy clinic so I could just get a quick fix and be on my way. Boy was I wrong...TOTALLY wrong.
Many of you will want to argue with me that the 'No Pain, No Gain' philosophy is actually a myth and pain is not required to have a quality workout. Trust me I get! But I'm not here to argue that point....the truth is that Physical Therapy is unlike any other visit to your doctor's office. It most times will require more than just the quick fix even I expected. Like everyone else I was going to have to put in the work if I wanted to be pain free.
Here is what I learned while walking a mile in your shoes as a PT patient:
1. It may pain you to have manual therapy. Physical Therapy is not like getting a massage at your neighborhood spa. Manual therapy techniques are not as relaxing, it can even be uncomfortable, but trust your therapist to be your guide to long term freedom from pain.
2. It will pain you to do your exercises everyday. No one likes to do them but they are an integral part of your treatment plan....don't neglect them. And if you ever find yourself in pain again after being discharged, the first question you should ask yourself is ...have I been doing my home exercise program.... then make an appointment.
3. It will pain you to carve out a couple of hours a week for 4-6 weeks. Having been in your position, I definitely understand how difficult it can be to make time for treatment. We know your busy but don't be what I like to call a 'Repeat Offender'. Repeat offenders are patients who start feeling better in the middle of their treatment and decide that they don't need therapy anymore. They end up back in therapy because they didn't commit to the process. Would you tell your cardiologist that you don't need your heart medication anymore?
4. It may pain you to dip into your pockets for those co-pays at every visit. Yes, we know it adds up but we didn't make the rules we just enforce them. If you think about it...can we really place a price tag on being pain free and able to live your life to its fullest without physical limitations.
Anyone who has successfully completed their PT treatment plan will tell you that the benefits far out weigh the costs. When it comes to PT...No Pain, No Gain! So yes, it may be a pain in one way or another but most things worth doing are usually not easy. If you are currently in a PT treatment plan, commit to it and if your living in pain, you don't have to....make an appointment today!
Kieffer Pearce
PR & Marketing Director

No comments:

Post a Comment